Re: [DNS] connect.com.au and .net.au

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:48:27 +1000
At 09:04 1/09/98 +0800, you wrote:

>Quoting Larry Bloch:
>|
>| Is there any reason why the script that checks for the existence of a AUNIC
>Handle uses the whois gateway, rather than the AUNIC Name Status Report that I
>NA uses.
>|
>| Any chance the script could be altered to use the AUNIC Name Status report r
>ather than a whois check?
>
>It would seem to make more sense to solve the problem at its source,
>and make whois sync its data regularly. Many people would rely on the
>whois server to reflect reality.

Yes and no. I agree that the whois db should be refreshed far more frequently (say twice a day). However, this doesn't solve the problem of making .net.au applications.

Essentially, the INA procedure is suitable because once can get a new AUNIC Handle and use it in the same operation without having to revisit a domain application once a database has refreshed.

Even if the whois db was refreshed once an hour, it would still mean that .net.au applications couldn't be submitted in the same procedure as getting a NIC Handle.

>Perhaps whois could be modified to list unregistered domains too, with
>a "Status: Pending" line or similar for yet-to-be-appraised domains -
>similar to the InterNIC whois Status field..

This would be usefull too...

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043