Re: [DNS] Give Austalian Business a go

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:27:21 +1000
  I fear Malcolm and many others have lost the plot. If the principles behind
  the web name standards had been designed in the commercial world we would
  not be having this debate.

If the principles behind the web name standards, or any other part of the
Internet had been designed 'in the commercial world' as you glibly put it
we'd have KEYLINK or AUSPOST or DIALOG or TRADEGATE or IBM's GEMNET or
one of a score of failed attempts.

As it happens, most if not all of the processes to derive how it is here
(and in other areas) actually did have a lot of commercial input. Who do
you think BBN and MCI and the other players who did the back-end engineering
in the early days are? Christian Charities?

Its just the clue density was markedly higher.  Like orders of magnitude.

You people (and you know who you are) need to get a life, and stop trying
to hijack this process of self-governance to win onto large profits. Stop
pretending to have 'the commercial sector' interests at heart, and look to
your own motives.

Its not about money. Its about rational process, and the needs of the wider
community. Do you get it yet?

cheers
	-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm&#167;dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072