RE: [DNS] Give Austalian Business a go

From: Norm Potter <norm§welldone.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:05:00 +1000

> I still don't really understand this generic domain name stuff.
>
> I look around me and I do not see shops called book, furniture, cattle,
> groceries.
>
> Why the hell should companies be allowed (or think it is a good
> idea) to own a
> generic domain name?  The only argument is "but others have done so
> [here-in-the-past|elsewhere".  That does not make it right or a good idea.

I fear Malcolm and many others have lost the plot. If the principles behind
the web name standards had been designed in the commercial world we would
not be having this debate. I would have no doubt we would have included
descriptors in the name as an optional entry. eg. www.anyname.com.au could
also be entered in as www.anyname.greengrocer.bondi.syd.com.au The words
added in this example need not be entered but would always have been
displayed. The generic domain name is important and valuable for those that
may own it but only if it does reflect what the owner does. When you look
down the high street anyname does nothing for you, green grocer, butcher,
candlestick maker does, why would the net be different.

Norm Potter
Well Done Events
e-mail norm&#167;welldone.com.au
ph +61 2 4422 2222