[DNS] Whats the rush?

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:41:25 +1000
Here is the last of my daily whinges:

	What is the rush to make immensely large changes in the nature of .AU
	right now? Where is the pressure? Where is the need? Where is the
	analysis of costs, and benefits, and risks? I see a lot of interested
	parties pushing, and I see a lot of fringe-dwellers, but I don't see
	either structure or process in the proposals. And I see little or no
	substantive proof of needs.

Please, can we stop pushing the timeline to make radical changes in .AU before
we have anything like a viable, stable process bedded in to manage things.

KRE has said many times that he sees no reason for hasty action in DNS. I wish
to echo and re-iterate that. By all means let there be defined timelines for
AUDA to proceed. But it would be the height of irresponsibility to try and
force through fundamental (and irreversable) changes in the behaviour of the
namespace at the same time.

Frankly, if it takes 5 years to get it right (after all, its taken almost that
long to get this far) I far prefer it to a botched job.

Just because ICANN is further along, or any members of this process have
issues with .AU management lagging the world doesn't make it right to make
radical changes.

The real determinant should be proven need, and a sound analysis of what WE
need. Thats WE in the widest collective sense.

cheers
	-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm&#167;dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072