Re: [DNS] au Domain Administration Update (18/07/99)

From: stephen loosley <stephen§melbpc.org.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:45:01 +1000
Hello Sandra and all,

--

Thank you, and the auDA Interim Board, for all your work Sandra.
At our auDA web-site, the intended procedures for inviting public

--
Public Consultation Procedure for Policy Development:
Where policy is being developed, the Panel will undertake public consultation
in the following manner:
* The worker paper is posted to the auDA website with an agreed accompanying
statement: <snip>
stakeholders.
* A minimum of 21 days from the date of the statement will be allowed for
public comment and consultation;
* A revised copy of the draft paper, taking into consideration the comments
received, will be placed on the auDA website, with the endorsement of the
Chair;
* A minimum of a further 14 days will be allowed for any additional comments
and consultation;
* Public comments will ordinarily be published to the auDA website;
* Having considered all public input, the Panel will submit a report to the
auDA Board for consideration.
The Panel may choose to combine a number of draft papers when undertaking
public consultation.
--

This process seems sensible .. however .. may I suggest that when auDA is
order to address issues under auDA consideration. In this manner, it would be

Thus, although perhaps a little more time consuming, the creation of
topic-specific and time-limited auDA mailing lists established to facilitate
public discussion may well engender finding better and more widely
representitive solutions. Therefore, although there is nothing preventing this
step in the proposed procedures, may I suggest that our auDA Board consider
adding a clause that actively encourages the creation of mailing lists for the
purposes of eliciting public comment?

As you will be aware, there is some overseas precedent for this suggestion...

--
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/domainhome.htm

PLEASE NOTE: The following document is a Notice announcing an electronic
administration of the .us domainspace ...

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
NATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION ADMINISTRATION
Docket No. 980212036-9125-05

Enhancement of the .us Domain Space, Notification of Open Electronic Mailing