Re: [DNS] Tradmarks and Domain Names

From: Paul Day <bonfire§staff.iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:22:01 +0800 (WST)
The way I understand it is that to claim a *.com.au domain you have to
have some legal connection to the name.

w-dog.com.au obviously met this criteria and were granted the domain, but
not quite within the rules and regulations they agreed to when
registering the domain.

If W-Dog Pty Ltd have registered W-Dog as a trademark within
Australia than they have more legal connection to the wdog.com.au address
and the current owner of wdog.com.au may be infringing W-Dog's registered
trade-mark. If wdog.com.au marketted a product in a completely different
category to that which W-Dog Pty Ltd have registered their trademark then
W-Dog Pty Ltd would have considerably less standing in court.

>From INA's registration page for *.com.au domains:

"Please note that the onus is on the Applicant to ensure the registration
and use of a domain name do no contravene any third party's rights (such
as those pertaining to a registered Trade Mark). If your domain name
infringes on another party's registered Trade Mark, you could be sued for
infringement!"

It seems to me that the current owner of w-dog.com.au has infringed W-Dog
Pty Ltd's tradmark.

PD