RE: [DNS] US "outlaws" cybersquatting

From: Tony Barry <tonyb§dynamite.com.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:01:49 +1000
At 11:18 AM 10/8/99, Mark Hughes wrote:
>> I am no expert on US procedures but I am pretty sure
>> that before that bill can become law, it must also be
>> approved by Congress and the Whitehouse (ie the President)
>
>According to the news article, it has been approved by half the
>Congress (the Senate) and now will need approval from the other half
>(House of Representatives) and then signing by Bill C.

Unlike Australia where nearlly all bills pass both houses, almost
invariably they are introduced by the government, few are amended and ALL
that pass get signed into law by the Governor-General, the US situation is
different. In the US bills are a politcal statement by individual members
of the legislature and are introduced by them, few pass, most are amended
and some might be rejected by the Head of State, the President, despite
Congressional support.

Tony

phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me&#167;Tony-Barry.emu.id.au