Re: [DNS] ABC: Australia supports global cyber-squatting regulations

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:30:21 +1100
At 04:48 PM 1/31/00 +1100, Mark Nearhos wrote:
>At 01:43 PM 1/31/00 +1100, you wrote:
> >
> > Australia supports global cyber-squatting regulations
> > http://www.abc.net.au/news/newslink/nat/newsnat-31jan2000-47.htm
> >

>This article also mentions:
>
> >> International Internet authorities are meeting in Sydney today.
>
>Can anyone shed any light on this?  ie which "International Internet
>authorities"? IETF? ICANN?

IETF - March, Adelaide - and the IETF does NOT deal in DNS politics
(smart chaps with a knack of learning quickly :-) )

ICANN - March, Cairo (yes, Egypt, not Sydney)

ICANN DNSO - - No notice of the next meeting (last meeting in Los Angeles
       in November 1999, with ICANN meeting)

ICANN GAC (Governmental ADvisory Committee) - if they are meeting in
       Sydney anytime soon its not announced on the GAC web page.

ISOC - nope - next meeting Yokohama, July

APNIC - nope - next meeting, Seoul, Korea, February.

So whoever these 'Internet Authorities' are they sure are right in the
thick of things in the international Internet name & address governance
show.

(what is an "internet authority" anyway? Everyone appears to be
having a really really hard time imposing their own particular flavour
of 'authority' on everyone else in any case, and self-proclamation
of being the source of authority appears to empty rhetoric these