[DNS] New Domain Level - Debate

From: Rohan Levy <rlevy§vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 02:33:32 +1000
I have private emailed to another member of this forum and am happy to
share this thought for deliberation.

The .com .net .org .co.uk domains and others do differ from how Australia
has done ours. In the forementioned you do not neccessarily have to own a
business name to enable the registration of the chosen domain - old news.
There is good and bad in this method of processing, naturally.

I see that there may be room to 'have your cake and eat it too' by
introducing another 'level' of domain within Australia that allows
'open-market' processes as is done in other countries such as the UK.

By introducing a new level, such as 'domain.CO.au', a number of issues may
be solved, yet it would depend on how it is packaged and differenciated to
the market.

Proposed:
1 - .com.au remains positioned as a 'registered' Aust business/company level.

2 - .co.au to be more open-market oriented.
	- cheaper to purchase.
	- no restrictions on naming policies.
	- 3-4 companies to sell domain names (hence competition)
	- domain names to be freely traded/auctioned.

Now, before you right back (if you chose to) I know that some may have
strong views against and I know that there are some holes in the
forementioned. There may be some that may wish to add to the model too, so
go for it.

Cheers
Rohan