Re: [DNS] .au domain issues

From: Ken Joyce <ken§pccentre.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:10:58 +1000
my MP tells me - and of all people, my MP should be believed -

"The Government has no jurisdiction in the matter at the present time...

"...the establishment of the Australian Domain Administration is in
motion... expected to be in operation in the latter half of this
year...

"In the meanwhile, it has been suggested you seek registration for
your client as a .net domain or anything other than .org"

This advice is not a solution, either in the short or long term, but
then it did come from a politician.

Senator Alston's reply to my MP, and in response to my query, gave a
brief history of the situation and told me that "auDA is a
professional, non-profit, private sector organisation intended to
take over the .au domain space, subject to meeting certain objectives
including responsiveness, accountability, transparency and financial
stability.  If auDA is able to meet these objectives, it will receive
Government endorsement, and steps will be taken to ensure the timely
transfer of the ICANN delegation to the new administrator."

I do not know whether this means auDA will meet these objectives in
the manner of its predecessor(s) or do so in a different way.
Regards,

Ken Joyce
The Professional Computing Centre
Level 1 Nowra Mall	ph: +61 2 4423 7771
PO Box 1423		fx: +61 2 4423 7772
Nowra			mb: 0418 96 7272
NSW  2540		ken&#167;hislora.com.au
AUSTRALIA		http://www.pccentre.com.au
Daly and Daly:	Computer Training
Flatearth: 	Website development and hosting, Computer networking
		Internet
Hislora Pty Ltd