Re: [DNS] Funding guarantee gains Melbourne IT exclusive com.au licence

From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari§ish.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:19:42 +1000
on 13/7/00 2:40 AM, Josh Rowe (Australian Post) at v-joshr&#167;microsoft.com
wrote:

> http://www.it.fairfax.com.au/breaking/20000712/A2568-2000Jul12.html

in extract...

> MELBOURNE IT has agreed to fund up to 80 per cent of the .au Domain
> Administration group in exchange for a decree by the industry self-regulatory
> body that Melbourne IT will remain the sole com.au registrar until at least
> late next year.
>
> Under the terms of today's announcement, Melbourne IT will provide "up to
> $659,000 towards its 2000/01 budget and further amounts in subsequent
> financial years" in exchange for the guarantee.
>
> AuDA made an operating profit of $17,535 for the financial year ended June 30
> 1999, on mainly the back of $18,000 income from subscription fees.

Is it too cynical to suggest that "further amounts in subsequent financial
years" might be conditional on similar guarantees of stalling the process
long enough for Melbourne IT to develop alternative revenue streams to
domain registration. They are already working on key certification services.

Does this mean that another organisation could bid $670,000 for AuDA to open
the com.au market to competition? Seems like quite a reasonable entry fee.
Did I say 'bid' - oh.. I meant 'donate'.

And it is usually a good thing to turn a profit, but the implication is that
AuDA has spent $465 last year, presumably on registration fees. Isn't there
something it could be doing with its funding?

Ari Maniatis

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
email info&#167;ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8