[DNS] Our options - Melbourne IT exclusive com.au licence

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:39:36 +1000
The lay of the land

It seems that Melbourne IT has put up a huge fight to retain an
exclusive role for as long as possible.

They have been able to get away with it because of the following:

* The minister via NOIE (or just from NOIE) stated very clearly to
auDA that they did not want a fast track approach to competition.
* Allegedly it was also said by NOIE  that if auDA attempted to play
hardball with Melbourne IT i.e. by grabbing the zonefiles setting up
new domain categories etc. that they would have their authority taken
away.
* It seems that there is a perception in government that if they make
a decision it will be their fault if it blows up. A consultation
process means that someone else carries the can. What does NOIE care
for competition? Or by which the speed by which it happens?
* Melbourne IT  would have not been in any hurry to sort out domain
licencing and thus funding for auDA and thus reform...
* Melbourne It has not been granted an exclusive licence for one year
they have been given one until the end of the reform process. Which
may or may not take one year. If I was a betting man I would say that
Melbourne It would make this process last as long as possible.

However this is a double edged sword for Melbourne IT as they are now
"officially" a monopoly player (see below). There is a recourse to
ACCC but it is on pricing. (also see below)

THE FUTURE - VERY IMPORTANT

1/ I have been told today by the way by an Melbourne IT staff member
that they now have an official monopoly and as per the next point
this is quite clear.

2/ A company I work for recently placed an official request to be a
Domain Administrator / Registrar  for second level domains within the
.au name space.  Yesterday this application was officially rejected
by auDA. Entrants are now restricted based upon a pending long drawn
out reform process (i.e. one expected to be finished at the end of
next year).

3/ As an official monopoly now exists I believe that the ACCC should
be contacted because of the monopolistic price structure that all
re-sellers are forced to comply with and that officially no recourse
can now be taken.

4/ As the government (and I believe the ACCC) has endorsed the
committee based reform system then we are left with only the option
of making sure that the prices that this monopoly charge are in line
with real costs. As I can buy a .com domain for $US10 I should expect
to pay no more than $AU17 plus a little overhead for the extra
administration  requirements of eyeballing each application. As I
have estimated it would take little more that 5min at the most to do
this (plus staff support costs) an additional $10 should cover this.
The real cost plus a realistic 10% profit and GST would be in the
$AU25-30 per annum range. ($4 to auDA  $2 to aunic $8 to IT admin $10
to eyeball $2 profit $2.5 GST)

5/  We have to request that the ACCC investigate the current price
structure. $20 - $25 (AU) per year seems a good price to ask for,
perhaps even a little less if the truth be told.

All those interested in contacting the ACCC please drop me a personal
email as I think that those interested should have a unified front in
regards to pricing. Or feel free to help create a forum  on this
matter at the chat / threaded discussion that can be found at
http://www.ezgov.com.au/ezgov/ Just click through to the form section.

Matthew King

Reform is needed