Re: [DNS] thoughts on .net.au policy.

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:42:13 +1000
Hi Aleks

David is just being nice.  He is letting you know that the policy you are
criticising is currently under review by a large panel of very capable
people.  Hi everyone <g>.

In fact this Naming Policy panel met the other day (I think Tuesday) in
Canberra to discuss policy changes to the domain naming system.  There is
another panel (reviewing Competition Policy) which met the next day.  I'm on
that other panel myself.   Information about both is on the
http://www.auda.org.au/ website.

So (reading into David's words) what David is implying is that a possibly
"bad" policy doesn't have to stay that way because it's under review.  Of
course, that does not mean that anything will change because there may be
very serious technical or commercial considerations to keep it that way !!

In fact, the issues you've raised could well provide input to the panel.
So thank you for that.   And yes, this is the right place to raise them -
that's fine.

But we are all sure (at least I am) that the policy will be changed
significantly in some respects.  This is because there are several other
contentious issues apart from the one you raised  (ie 2-letter domain
names).

Regards
Patrick Corliss