Re: [DNS] Selling com.au names [was: Re: AuDomains.com]

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:08:40 +1000
Hi Meliza

This is a different situation to that described by Justin.

INWW (a division of Melbourne IT) interprets the policy as if the business
name is a legal entity in its own right (which it is not).

They look at it as if the Business Name owned the domain name.  As most (not
all) domain names are supported by a business name it is a simple matter to
go along to the Dept of Fair Trading in your State and transfer ownership of
the business name.

The associated domain name then becomes yours without INWW being involved
except for changing the contact details.  Thus the domain name is
continuously registered and there is no need for a "terminate and re-apply".
Zero risk.

Justin is saying that where a terminate and re-apply IS performed there's a
risk during the short time between the terminate and the re-apply.  This can
be avoided if the old owner "Fred Smith" transfers the business name to the
new company  "Fred Smith Antiques Pty Ltd" in the way I've described above.

The problem with that is that the new company has to keep the business name
for ever paying a renewal fee every three years.  Just to safeguard its
domain name.

Regards
Patrick Corliss