[DNS] Selling com.au names [was: Re: AuDomains.com]

From: Justin Sullivan <js§justnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:17:11 +1000
At 02:55 1/10/00 +1000, you wrote:
>anthony white wrote:
>
> > check out www.audomains.com for the latest.
>
>You'll notice they're trying to sell .com.au names contrary to the policy.
>There's a big risk in doing that, I would have thought.
>
>Regards
>Patrick Corliss

Actually INA has a way of allowing "selling" which is presumably official
enough as they have formal documents and application forms to support it.
This is the "terminate and re-apply" process. Essentially, company A that
currently holds the name asks them to cancel the license, and in the same
breath company B applies for the same name. Obviously company B must meet
all the usual com.au allocation/application terms such as having a suitable
business or company name.

This is only processed offline (paper based forms) and is done manually,
presumably to ensure both things happen at the same moment.

The only bad news is there is still a disclaimer on the top of the first
page that essentially says they don't guarantee someone else won't snap up
the name midway through the process :-( Not good news when our clients have
just agreed to pay a third party a sizable sum for a particular name and
then have to agree that they may be throwing it all down the drain.

And for those completely opposed to selling names at all, consider also the
case of (fictional) character "Fred Smith Antiques" who is a sole trader
with a small business and the name "fredsmithantiques.com.au". He has built
up a thriving online presence over the years and incorporates and becomes
"Fred Smith Antiques Pty Ltd" and on his accountants advise he cancels the
business name registration, maintaining just the company. But as the domain
name is licensed to the business name, technically the domain can now be
revoked as the business name (license holder) doesn't exist any more. So he
really needs to sell the name to the new company entity in order to keep
using it - even though essentially there is no change in use in most senses
of the word.

I believe there needs to be a zero risk option for people in this position
to ensure they keep their established names and do not have to face any
risk of losing them. The difficulty with picking out this particular case
is that there's no way for the registrar to conclusively tell whether it's
essentially a change in the legal structure of the business like this, or
an actual sale to an unrelated party. Ensure the "old" owner is a
shareholder or director of the new company? I'm sure that would be worked
around in the same way as some of the current policies are worked around -
"we'll buy your domain name from you and here's your token 1 share out of
the 10,000,000 on issue so that the registrar sees this as a related party
transaction not a third party, and we make sure we get the rights to the
name we're paying for..."

Maybe the current "terminate and re-apply" process actually is zero risk,
but it certainly doesn't read that way from the disclaimer. But maybe
that's INA covering themselves just in case... If anyone (especially
someone from INA) can shed some further facts on the process I'd appreciate
it. Whatever one thinks of selling of com.au names generally, I think
everyone should agree that people like the "fredsmithantiques.com.au"
example should have a way to go through the above scenario in complete
confidence.

Regards,
JS