Re: [DNS] Selling com.au names [was: Re: AuDomains.com]

From: Luke Kee <lukee§connect.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:44:27 +1000
Justin Sullivan wrote:

> The next best option is perhaps to "do nothing" and just leave things as
> they are. But since the business name (license holder) no longer exists I
> don't think is an ideal situation to be in. But the client suggested (and
> I'm inclined to agree) that this may be better than signing something that
> says you wish to cancel the domain name and there's no guarantee you'll
> keep it -- particularly as in a case like this were the domain name in
> question is really quite a good one and may well be snapped up if someone
> happened to notice or just get the timing right by chance.
>
> I assume the manual "terminate and re-apply" process does work in practice,
> but I've yet to find many takers once they read the "no promises" disclaimer.
>
> JS

I think you will find with INA, that when you request a Termination and
Re-Applicaiton for a domain name, the termination is NOT actually
performed
first.  The new application would be checked, and if approved, then the
domain is terminated and applied against the new company.  If the
application
is rejected, then the termination is NOT processed.  Hence the domain
name
is not lost at all.

As for net.au domain names, that's how we work it.  If your
re-application
is not successful, we don't process the termination.  As for down time
for the domain name itself, during the change of company name, there
isn't
any... The domain name itself isn't physically removed.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

Regards,

Luke Kee
net.au Registry

Luke Kee                                Client Connections Co-Ordinator
Connect.com.au Pty. Ltd.                            Phone: 03 9674 3819
Level 9, 114 Albert Rd.                 General Enquiries: 1800 818 262
South Melbourne, Vic., 3205             Corporate Support: 1300 73 1111
http://www.connect.com.au/                   Email: ccon&#167;connect.com.au