Re: AuDomains.com (fwd)

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:09:16 +0800 (WST)
Last one I didn't archive any more ....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 00:47:04 +0800 (WST)
From: Doug Robb <doug&#167;clarity.com.au>
To: dns&#167;auda.org.au
Subject: Re: AuDomains.com

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> anthony white wrote:
>
> > check out www.audomains.com for the latest.
>
> You'll notice they're trying to sell .com.au names contrary to the policy.
> There's a big risk in doing that, I would have thought.

Yes there is but then again this is something that should
be under consideration for scrapping. Why shouldn't
a .com.au domain owner be able to sell it?

As it is now the same result can be achieved by either
selling the shell of the business or doing a simulataneous
delete and register. Its all a bit of a nonsense in my
opinion. There are so many business's with the same
trading names around Australia there is bound to be
legitimate reasons for one company to offer to buy
the desired domain name from another.

And lucky me if my business (lets say perthwa.com.au
-which *is* currently registered by the way)
suddenly lucks it as a great portal site and someone
wants to grab that domain name to use for their
own on-line venture. This is not something the domain
registrar should be concerned about is it?

Imagine if the  trademarks or patents office did that?

Re that site mentioned it does show the strength and
weakness of the whole domain system. There is no
shortage of generic domains or even reasonable .com.au
ones. Its fairly easy to come up with permutations
to get some sort of generic name.

So why would anyone in their right mind pay the
sort of money being asked? I don't think they
will ever sell them and its a fools game thinking
you'll crack a million dollar name. Its just too
easy to get a reasonable variation and the real
money in in your business plan anyway.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au