Re: [DNS] The Problem of Domain Name "Hoarding" (fwd)

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:03:21 +0800 (WST)
And another ....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:56:34 +0800 (WST)
From: Doug Robb <doug&#167;clarity.com.au>
To: dns&#167;auda.org.au
Subject: Re: [DNS] The Problem of Domain Name "Hoarding"

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> The "harm" that is being addressed is domain name
> "hoarding".  Any economist will tell us that there is
> really only one solution to a question of supply and
> demand - and that is to have an unlimited supply of domain
> names.
>
> Otherwise it just gets reflected in the price !!

Yes precisely, its the supply side that is the
problem here. There is no answer to the issues being raised
in this thread as in the main all you are doing is
complicating a process that is essentially very simple.

The .com and .net etc have worked reasonably well
thus far and with the proposed new tld's the supply side
is further enhanced (not to mention the .mp, .cc etc
TLD's). Who would be so silly to say that .com is
only a registry for business/company names? Who
would say no matter how many Internet projects your company
wants to pursue you only get one domain name?

(and by the way it can't be a generic word, no,
not unless of course it's 'news' - silly you for not
guessing you could have had that one - news.com.au
if only you'd asked.)

Those who've followed my posts over the past months
will no doubt not want to hear my frustration (again)
at the .com.au "policy" and the 'experts' who decide
what a domain name space should and shouldn't be.

This thread has raised the inconsistancies and
anomolies up all over again.

I am in the process of writing a report comparing the
.com.au policy with other countries and how the policy
affects the ability of Australian company's to compete in
the information economy.

I feel unless the sorts of issues being raised here
are drawn to the attention of a wider audience the
current 'policy' will be with us forever.

If anyone would like to send me examples such as
the one that started this thread please do.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au