Re: [DNS] What's in a name? Too little, says panel

From: Don Cameron <dcameron§coolahddg.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:00:06 +1100
> If you think domains in .com.au are harder to obtain, then what about
getting a suitable name in .com? The rules for .com.au encourage the
namespace not to get completely exhausted the way .com has. (snip) If you
have a commercial entity, the chances of you getting your  relevant .com.au
name are much greater than getting a .com.

Hi Kim,

I agree entirely (or at least I did up until a few days ago... now there is
.biz plus five other suffixes, there are billions of additional combinations
available for businesses to choose from) - though the point remains, you are
preaching to the converted... who is "out there" running newspaper
advertisements etc. promoting the advantages of .au to industry at large? -
Plus this also sidesteps the real issue... do a majority of Australian
businesses want to be identified as "solely Australian"? (if this is what
having a .au in your domain name implies?) - seemingly Telstra do not... and
isn't our own industry promoting E-Commerce as a "doorway to the world" for
business? - We seem to have forgotton our own promotions to companies
wishing to enter the global economy.... demographics is superflous... it
doesn't matter if you are a small florist in the Northern Territory, you can
still sell flowers to the world (just add a .com).

Cheers, Don