Re: [DNS] What's in a name? Too little, says panel

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:33:54 +1100 (EST)
] I'd rather host a .com domain name than a .com.au.
]
] We can setup and register a .com within 6 hours usually it is only costs
] $25 per year. We even have a free domain name promotion too.
]
] The .com.au's are slow to setup and when transferring them to our servers,
] the .com.au doesn't usually work when we first try redelegating them cause
] INA need the domains to be fully setup on the nameservers.

Actually its AUNIC that checks the DNS servers are correctly set up at the
time of application in com.au, in an effort to maintain some integrity.
Are you arguing that it is a good thing to let people put any old garbage
in the DNS with no checking for technical accuracy at all?

Just looking at the time to register a domain and get a confirmation
of approval is not so useful from a customer point of view IMHO.

I think a more useful time metric in an ISP context is the time from
the (complete) customer request until the domain is visible in the DNS.

If you have some problem with being able to set up nameservers properly
and quickly then you could register the domain first and delegate it later.
Or get some new technical staff.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management