Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:57:07 +0800
On Wed, Nov 22, 2000, Kim Davies wrote:

> I believe the problem is not so much that they would be used as gateway or
> directories - indeed I think the main concern would be them being used
> for the opposite.
>
> To make an example, travel.com.au could be used as a directory
> of the travel services industry, or it could be a travel company.
>
> Is there a viable way to identify if a generic is going to be used in the
> public interest or not?

I'm also curious about enforcing interoperability between whoever
runs say, the geographic DNS names.

How will they be allocated? What will stop a large company or group
of companies monopolising them? How will the hyperlinking between
these sites work if they're controlled by different companies?

You are assuming that enough zones exist to cover people's choices.
Well, I'll counter that the DNS will become a highly complex web
if you want to use it effectively as a directory. Sure, you'll make
money, but trying to administer something that complex and keep
everything consistent will be ..well, an interesting challenge.
Certainly more challenging than running a straight DNS registry.

again, 2c,

adrian
--
Adrian Chadd			"God: Damn! I left pot everywhere!
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Now I'll have to create Republicans!"