Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Kerry Henry <KHenry§ClickOn.au.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:12:29 +1100
Don Cameron, I hear and agree where you are coming from, however, we are
faced with the usual 'garbage in, garbage out' results if you study the last
6 month results of registrations.

The problem is that the majority of Australian businesses are being
incorrectly advised re proper domain name registration, so the stats won't
be meaningful.

As I stated in an earlier contribution, this 'one glove fits all' approach,
mainly because of registration and cost convenience that some are applying
ie, only register 'dot com', is just plain crazy.

If a business has gone to the trouble of registering for an ACN, RBN or ABN
then clearly they are operating in the Australian market therefore they
SHOULD have an 'au' domain at a minimum.

Registering in other jurisdictions depends on existing or proposed
marketing, operational and distribution plans.

Advising an Australian business to register a 'dot com' because it is easier
is just ................ let's say stupid and very short term focused.

Kerry Henry
Australia E-Commerce Pty Ltd