Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:15:33 +1100 (EST)
On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Ron Ipsen wrote:

> We are not about competing (again IMHO) with the rest of the worlds systems
> but about protecting and conserving and building on what is uniquely ours
> for ourselves, our communities and those that will follow us.

I guess I should respond publically (should that be publicly? :) now. The
'who cares' can be paraphrased as 'who cares whether .au (the domain) is
worth money to corporations' ? I don't.

What was originally talked about (DNS = directory service) does not exist
now, regardless of how many times people quote that it is; or how many
examples people give of 'domain.com' pointing at 'desired product or
service'.

it's not a directory service. Whether people use it as that or not is
irrelevant; the protocol (as defined in the existing RFCs, 1101 is
probably a good place to start) doesn't support this; and without
extensions a'la LDAP etc. it's never going to.

Regards,

Saliya