Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Richard Archer <rha§interdomain.net.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:13:56 +1100
At 9:08 +1100 24/11/00, Patrick Corliss wrote:

>Let's agree that there should be a whole load of new 2LDs.  Why not?

Do you mean "Why not" hypothesise on that basis? Or "Why not" create
a whole load of new 2LDs?

The IMHO overwhelming argument against creating a whole raft of new
2ld's is that they are confusing to users. The existing .com.au and
.net.au division is bad enough... imagine if users had to contend
with .biz.au, .firm.au, .cpa.au, .vet.au and so on. I don't think
they'd cope!

>Isn't even slightly possible that this money could be used in some way to help
>finance a better internet?

I don't believe so. The two scenarios I envisage are:

1. The money goes to line the pockets of Melbourne IT's shareholders

2. The money goes into the government's general revenue and funds a
1c per litre cut in fuel excise for Australia's primary industry
further reinforcing Australia's third world economy.

   ...R.