RE: WIPO and spelling of Domain Names.

From: Rothnie, Warwick <Warwick.Rothnie§msj.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:51:42 +1100
Mallesons Stephen Jaques
Confidential communication

My understanding is that ASIC will accept any name for registration (other
than some names on "prohibited" type list) unless it is identical to one
already registered.  ASIC does not undertake trade mark searches and leaves
rival claimants to resolve the matter themselves.

That is exactly what happens with domain names (much to trade mark owners'
chagrin).  In comparison to cybersquatting, however, people rarely register
companies using other people's well known trade marks.  I can think of two
or three occasions over the last 10 years where this has happened to a
couple of my clients who have been on the receiving end of nearly 100
cybersquatters in the past year alone.  Maybe it's the cost of registration
which is a deterrent, I don't know.  I must say, however, the people who
registered the companies my clients objected to were never so naive, or
brazen, as to say "I could do it and I didn't think it was wrong."  (Again,
I ask why do people think that there is nothing wrong in doing this or it is
all just a bit of a lark?)

On the trade mark system, let me say that the Trade Marks Office does not
claim to be perfect and does sometimes let things through which might be
surprising.  That is one of the reasons why applications get advertised and
there is a period in which the public may object to the application being
registered.  Even after registration, a trade mark can still be revoked on
the grounds that it was wrongly made, or is wrongly remaining in, the
register.  Revocation, however, involves court action.

Warwick A Rothnie
Partner
Mallesons Stephen Jaques Melbourne
Direct line (61 3) 9643 4254