Re: WIPO and spelling of Domain Names.

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:03:21 +1100 (EST)
] My understanding is that ASIC will accept any name for registration (other
] than some names on "prohibited" type list) unless it is identical to one
] already registered.  ASIC does not undertake trade mark searches and leaves
] rival claimants to resolve the matter themselves.

I agree that the company name space and the trade mark name space are
not connected.  But I believe there is some connection between the
company name space (ASIC) and the business name space (state govts),
and that ASIC checks state business names before registering a company
name.  So there is more to it than just a prohibited names list.

Victorian Business Affairs make it clear that registering a business
name does not give you any trade mark rights, and that you should do a
a trade mark search to see if you might be infringing some one else's
trade mark.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management