[DNS] Media Release: auDA endorsed by Government

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:28:46 +1100 (EST)
                    auDA receives Government endorsement

   au Domain Administration (auDA) has been formally endorsed by the
   Australian Government as the appropriate entity to hold the delegation
   of authority for administration of the .au domain space.

   Senator Richard Alston, The Minister for Communications, Information
   Economy and the Arts, has signed a letter formally giving auDA
   Government endorsement.

   In order to receive Government endorsement, auDA has been required to
   demonstrate that it meets the objectives set out by Government in the
   initial phases of the self-regulatory reform process, namely that auDA
   will:

     * operate as a fully self-funding and not-for-profit organisation;

     * be inclusive of, and accountable to, members of the Internet
       community including both the supply and demand sides;

     * adopt open, transparent and consultative processes;

     * aim to enhance benefits to Internet users through the promotion of
       competition, fair trading and provisions for consumer protection and
       support;

     * establish appropriate dispute resolution mechanisms; and

     * represent Australian Internet industry interests in the Internet
       domain name system at national and international fora.

   ``Receipt of this endorsement is a significant step for auDA and
   follows our October submission of a comprehensive report to the
   Government setting out how we had met, or put in place the necessary
   mechanisms to meet these objectives'' said auDA CEO Chris Disspain.

   ``Our next step will be to seek the agreement of Mr Robert Elz, the
   current delegated administrator of the .au domain space, to transfer
   the delegation of authority to auDA''.

   Mr Greg Watson, auDA co-Chair praised the Government decision to
   endorse auDA, a move which now clears the way forward for auDA to
   assume its role of regulating domains that end in .au.

   ``Clearly Government is now satisfied that auDA is a truly
   representative organisation and is confident in its ability to
   undertake this role,'' Mr Watson said.

   ``The auDA board has worked extremely hard to put in place an open and
   consultative organisation with a sound funding base. It is a tribute
   to their efforts, the support of our members and the ongoing support
   and contribution from NOIE that this result has been achieved,'' he
   said.

   For further information please contact:

   Chris Disspain

   au Domain Administration