[DNS] ING/Internet Name Protection P/L scam = money grab

From: Iris Radulescu <Iris§AfterHours.com.au>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:21:48 +1000
RE: Poaching of com.au renewals continues at exorbitant prices : culprit
still Internet Name Protection Pty Ltd aka ING Internet Names Group aka
renewals.com

I quote below complaints recorded almost a year ago.
Recently two of my customers were sent unsolicited renewal notices by the
ING at $220 per 2 years (EACH).

These were sent on paper using AustraliaPost services , originating from
Internet Name Protection P/l, ABN 39087441450, located at 222 St. Kilda Rd.,
Melbourne (sic) 3182 with the envelope originating from ING PO Box 4080
Mulgrave 3170.

Together with whatever bulk discounts ING get from Melbourne IT as Channel
Partners, they make a hefty profit - and in most cases would get away with
it since they address it to "Accounts Payable" at the victim's registered
address.

This IMHO amounts to an unqualified SCAM since
- it is totally unsolicited (they obviously sponge the AUNIC database)
- it is false in content since it states in bold that "the.address.com.au"
is due for renewal (when in fact it is not due for another 3 (three)
months);
- it states in bold that the address may be "deleted from the DNS" when in
fact it would not be for some time after the deadline expires in 4 months or
so;
- they do not tell the victims that Melbourne IT is going to send a renewal
advice a month before the 2-year registration expires;
- they do not tell the victims they can renew themselves at a fraction of
the cost or rely on their current service provider to do it for them;
- the price they charge is NOT STATING GST inclusion thus being potentially
$95 above the publicly advertised price of Melbourne IT ($127.28 for 2 years
ex-GST).

Furthermore, they also ask for $1000 for a 10-year registration which - to
my knowledge - is NOT provided by Melbourne IT or the AUNIC. This is FRAUD
and again does not state the GST portion - obviously because they have NO
INTENTION of ever providing the service in 10 years' time or paying the GST.

This also cuts into Melbourne IT and INA business as well as the victim's
own existing service providers'.

How is it possible NOTHING has been done in 10 months? How is it possible
they are STILL "Channel Partners" of Melbourne IT ????

Respectfully
Iris Radulescu
InfoTrade