Re: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Richard Archer <rha§juggernaut.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:47:04 +1000
At 1:29 AM +1000 20/7/01, Larry Bloch wrote:

>AUNIC doesn't actually generate that much traffic. Also, the images are
>likely to be cached in proxies and are in any event very small.

>From the Squid FAQ <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-12.html>:

12.23 How come some objects do not get cached?
7. A 302 Moved Temporarily response is cachable ONLY if the response also
includes an Expires header.

And on checking out this banner we see:

$ lynx -head http://www.netregistry.com.au/ads/adview.php?bannerID=1

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: Zeus/3.4
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:37:36 GMT
Connection: close
Location: http://www.netregistry.com.au/AUNIC/hosting.gif

So No, this banner will not get cached in proxies.

For people who are particularly worries about banners, I suggest installing
Mozilla and running with Privacy options set to only load images that are
served from the same server as the current web page.

If you're *really* paranoid about banners and privacy, install Junkbuster.

 ...R.

p.s. personally I'm more worried that one of the registrars is running the
registry than I am about a piddly banner ad.