RE: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:49:37 +1000
At 09:31 AM 19/07/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> > How about the speed of the service now ... would you like that to go
> back to
> > how that used to be too?
>
>Dumping the banner Ads doesnt mean going back to how aunic used to be..
>AuDA was offered a free hosting solution without having to provide banner
>ads.. Just imagine it, someone who was willing to do it for the good of
>the Oz Internet, not just to benefit themselves - kinda hard to believe in
>this day and age.. :) Unfortunately, I didnt see the tender process
>happening, so my offer wasnt submitted at the right time..
>
>Well, the offer is still there, though I would only be willing to place it
>in a US facility now.. Id be willing to wager that it would have much more
>bandwidth available to it there than what NetRegistry has.. :) Would
>people consider that the lesser of two evils? Worth it to have no
>advertising? Hosted by someone who doesnt have a $$ stake in the game? I
>would, but thats just me..

Scott, that's all very well after the fact, but firstly, I'm sure you'll
agree that hosting AUNIC in the US is strategically a little ridiculous,
and secondly, does your offer include the $30k odd of equipment as well and
are you prepared to accept the financial liability implied by failure to
achieve SLA's? All  of this is included in the contract.

The site is currently hosted at the NetRegistry datacentre on a 45MB ATM
link with a 8MB backup. Utilisation is less than 5% currently (average).

> > Your choice: would you prefer to have no AUNIC and no ads or AUNIC with
> > ads, because those are the only two choices available (and one isn't
> > really a choice, is it?)
>
>well obviously thats just bullshit, but thats to be expected..

It is bullshit - I'm making a point - the accepted tender offered free
services in return for graphic logo placement on the AUNIC site.
NetRegistry didn't accept the tender - we oferred it. If you have a problem
with it, then you have a problem with auDA, not NetRegistry.