Re: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Brett Fenton <brettf§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:03:49 +1000
On Friday 20 July 2001 09:19, Andrew Hennell wrote:

> The "$100k" to set it up seems, to me, inflated. I co-lo servers on
> much more than 45/8 for only $8k a year... so if the rest is
> hardware, even with two systems and raid5 (where 0+1 would probably
> be better), NR needs to shop around a bit for their hardware.

This isn't a simple single co-lo. There are two systems in two
different datacentres. One 45/8 the other 100/100. RAID 0+1 is not a
preferred solution for reliabilty btw, fast yes high availability no.
On top of the infrastrucure of a couple of servers and storage, there
is back-up to DLT and off-site archiving, there is the cost to us of
the bandwidth, there are the maitenance agreements on the h/ware/OS
all either by our engineers or vendor arrangements. All up $100K is
about ballpark.

> I offered to host AUNIC for only a small text link on only _some_of
> the pages, and definately not the lookup pages. I was too late, NR
> had already closed the deal.

There seems to have been a lot of offers after NR had "closed the
deal". I wrote the original tender and it was quite a long process.
There was registration of expression of interest I believe about 3
months prior to auDA releasing the call for tender. There was then a
few months of open tender which was extended. There seems to have
been to me at least adequate opportunity for those serious about
hosting the service to place submissions to auDA.

Brett Fenton
NetRegistry Pty Ltd