[DNS] code of practice

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:14:54 +1000
Hello David,

> Perhaps it would be useful for someone to make a list of all
> the specific
> actions by these sort of businesses which are unacceptable.
> The kind of
> list I am looking for would have facts which can be
> objectively verified,
> and which you would not expect any legitimate business to do.
>  It might
> also be helpful if it was a priority list.
>
> A hypothetical example of the kind of thing you might put on the list:
> * a business sent a letter which looks like an Invoice to a
> com.au license
>   holder who had no prior dealings with the sending business.
> * they sent a fax which offered renewal for com.au domains
> for 10 years,
>   without explaining that (apart from the first 2 years) this was a
>   pre-payment and that they cannot guarantee renewals will be accepted
>   after the current 2 year period (if policy changes or they
> go broke).
>
> It is probably not necessary to name the businesses who are
> doing these
> things, as part of this list.  Those sort of details (like names) can
> be discussed in private email instead - that should be safer from a
> legal point of view.
>
> My idea was to see whether there are some aspects which could
> be tackled
> by the ACCC, auDA or Melbourne IT, beyond what has already been done.
> Especially if it hasn't already been covered by an auDA /
> ACCC advisory,
> or the Interim Code of Practice (see http://www.auda.org.au/transition/).

An excellent idea, and an appropriate forum to list these practices would be
the public comment section of auDA's website relating to the development of
the interim code of practice.  The interim code of practice is currently
based on a code that was partially developed within the registrar
constituency of ICANN.  It has received no input from the local industry.

Please send you suggestions as David discusses above officially to Jo Lim
(jo.lim&#167;auda.org.au) so that they can be considered formally in the
development of the code of conduct.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin