[DNS] more input to code of conduct

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:20:59 +1000
Hello Don,

> A list of unacceptable actions would be useful, however my
> "vision" (if you
> like) would be for the IT industry in general, though
> specifically for the
> purpose of .au administration, to adopt codes similar to
> those in use by
> most other major industrial groups. I do not really see a
> need to reinvent
> the wheel when the most of the legal and business ethics
> issues have already
> been long addressed - however yes, there are specific issues
> relevant to the
> IT industry that should be incorporated.

I agree.  We should try to incorporate what has been learnt in other
industries into the auDA code of practice.   Unfortunately there has been
little attention so far to this important area of industry self regulation.
Now would be a good time to put suggestions through to auDA via Jo Lim
(jo.lim&#167;auda.org.au) so they can be recorded on the public website for
discussions on code of conduct.

> Some excellent examples of industry codes of conduct in
> practice can be
> found within the apparel, food, toy, automotive, and retail
> industries (to
> name but a few) - the following is an excerpt from the Retail Grocery
> Industry Code of Conduct as it relates to resolving disputes between
> industry partners (note the incorporation of a specific Industry
> Ombudsman) - this may seem excessive and verbose, (and the
> extract forms
> only a small component of the total code of conduct), however
> descriptors of
> this type are essential if a workable industry
> self-regulation process is to
> be realised - plus of course it is designed to protect all
> parties to a
> dispute.

I suggest you formally submit your extract from the retail grocery industry
to the public discussion on code of conduct (ie send to jo.lim&#167;auda.org.au
for display on the auDA website).

I intend to review some of the ACIF work in this area to see what we can
incorporate there as well.

I guess we should aim ultimately for a short document that addresses the
main concerns rather than end up with a large document that few industry
participants will read.

Regards,
Bruce