RE: [DNS] Privacy

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:09:19 +1000
Some thoughts on ING and IRA.

Both Companies are offering 10-year "renewal services".  This means that the
income stream from those who have taken up the "offer" will cease for the
next 10 years, whilst their operating costs will continue or even increase
during the same period.

With the advent of competition, domain registration prices will inevitably
fall, thereby contracting these Companies' remaining income stream.

To my mind, that's a business model that has only one inevitable consequence
- you cannot survive with increasing costs and contracting revenue.

These two Companies have shown themselves to be amoral, sharp business
operators, "not illegal" in their practices and with very good legal advice.
Could it be, then, that closing down shortly is indeed their strategy?
Pretty good money, if you think about it - they effectively get $1000 for a
$140 service!

If my surmise has any basis, then we as an industry MUST prepare for the
consumer backlash that this will inevitably provoke.

Ron Stark
Business Park Pty Ltd
mail: ronstark&#167;businesspark.com.au
tel: +61 (0)3 9592 6895   fax: +61 (0)3 9591 0729
mob: +61 (0)41 812 9922