Re: [DNS] Re: Re Your Association's Domain Name

From: Paul Day <bonfire§bur.st>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:50:01 +0800 (WST)
Am I the only one who thinks it's a pity .asn.au and .id.au can no longer
be run for free by volunteers?

Especially .id.au which has been run by a group of volunteers since it's
inception in '93 (?). I think it'd be great for it to continue being run
by a volunteer base using volunteer resources. Otherwise, it'll just be
handed off to one of the companies who get one of the other .au's (would
anyone bother trying to make money from .id.au with a $15k setup,
$11/domain for reg., and $1/yr/domain?) and be charged for.

auDA will want $11/reg and $1/yr and the commercial organisation will have
to cover it's own costs (including the $15k they paid for .id.au) and
their own profit. It'd be unlikely the domain would still be less than
$30/year and your average Joe Individual would just go grab a .com for $20
for his home network.

PD

[1] of which I'm sure there would be plenty willing, including current
.id.au registrars of which I am one.

--
Paul Day    Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire   PGP-key: www.bur.st/~bonfire/pk.txt