Re: [DNS] Re: Re Your Association's Domain Name

From: Andrew Hennell <ahennell§nsa.net.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:19:59 +1000
> Will NFP associations accept paying a fee for an .asn.au domain, or are
they
> more likely to simply move to a .com? - and will charging for .asn.au
> domains encourage new NFP's to identify themselves within the .au
namespace
> at all?

As founder of the Australian Emergency Services Volunteers Network (only a
month ago!), this is an interesting question (and will a fee also appear for
org.au's for NFP's).  AESVN works with around 40 organisations (with
thousands of units/squads/stations), and 350,000+ active volunteers who give
their time to protect the community. The volunteer members contribution to
our Society, our Social Capital, is over $11b a year.

Most of these organisations are already very short on funds, with members
buying their own personal protective equipment (helmets, uniforms, life
jackets, etc) themselves because the organisations don't have the funds to.
(SES & Fire Authorities are generally ok in this regard, although at the
unit/brigade level funds are still very tight.  Many
brigades/units/stations/etc maintain websites for local information &
community safety, as well as to attract both new members and urgently
required sponsorship funds.

So $50.00 a year might not be much to a company, or to many of us on the
list.  It's a night out or not even 2 DVD's.  To a marine rescue unit who
maintain a local website, who's members chip in to fuel the rescue boat each
time they respond to a call, it's just another slug.  It's half a
lifejacket, 1/10th a new radio, or an extra tank of fuel to get to a sinking
boat.  $50 does make a difference.

I only know of Emergency Service Volunteers, yet I'm sure church, youth,
social, etc, etc NFP's are in a similar situation.  In an ideal world the
commercial transactions would offset the provision of free services to the
NFP's who contribute so much to our society.

I'll end my little Friday night rant now, but I hope I've left you with
something to think about.  (and yes, our own organisation is a .org).

Cheers,
Andrew.
Andrew Hennell - founder

Australian Emergency Services Volunteers Network
http://www.aesvn.org
P.O.Box 453 Haberfield NSW 2045

Working with volunteers, organisations and associations
around Australia to improve our service to the community.