[DNS] Re: [Oz-ISP] A call on auDA

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:57:01 +0800
On Sun, Oct 28, 2001, Darrell Burkey wrote:
> Well, I was watching the debate but accepted the reality that community and
> non profit groups would end up paying for the service regardless of the
> willingness of organisations like Connect West to do the work on a volunteer
> basis.
>
> Most of these groups would have paid for registrations regardless of the
> fact that it was free because they would have arranged the service through
> an ISP that rightfully would want to cover their costs in performing the
> service. No different then what auDA is doing really.
>
> And although Connect West did a fabulous job, I dread having to explain to
> clients registering a .org.au that I can't even give them an estimate of the
> time involved and it could be several months. Without exception they all
> indicated they would be happy to pay for a service where they could at least
> find out what was going on with their requests. I note that now .org.au
> registrations go through in hours just like Connect West have done for
> years. Coincidence perhaps?

Only because kre probably didn't have much time to deal with all of
the org.au registrations.

> If people have to pay to improve the service I think you will find that they
> are happy to do so. Ask them. If you can recommend a way that we can do the
> same service for free, I'm happy to listen and support you with the
> resources of a non-profit organisation established specifically to assist
> community and non-profit groups with their IT needs.

It wouldn't be that hard to come up with something that will take an
incoming DNS application and throw it at one of many, many volunteers
to deal with. In fact, I have a small ticketing system here that I wrote
myself which is capable of just that. One can then identify who is
lagging behind in handling registration requests and go from there.

There isn't _that many_ non-com/net.au registrations, so I don't see
it being a huge problem with say, half a dozen or so volunteers with
a couple of "overseers" maintaining the database/software.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Taking the dog."