[DNS] RE: [Oz-ISP] A call on auDA

From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve§skeeve.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:19:24 +1100
From:  http://www.auda.org.au/docs/registry-rft-part2.pdf

On pages 4-5

Current registrations as at: 18 October 2001
.com.au	229,339
.net.au	17,383
.org.au	7,841
.asn.au	2,532
.id.au	520 (approx)

Also "The current delegate of org.au and id.au has not been approached
to surrender his delegation to those 2LDs to auDA. auDA intends to make
this approach shortly. However, auDA has received legal advice to the
effect that the existing delegation held by the delegates will have no
further force or effect after ICANN re-delegates the .au CCTLD to auDA".

In other words... if Robert Elz doesn't surrender .org.au when asked...
they will take it forcefully.

On page 8 of this document, the costs for running a registry in a 2LD
are as follows:

Initial fee:
.com.au	$100,000
.net.au	$30,000
.org.au	$15,000
.asn.au	$15,000
.id.au	$15,000

and ongoing fees along the lines (based on the number of domains
registered on the anniversary date)

0-15000 domains registered	$1/domain
15,001-50,000 doms rego'd	$0.60/domain
and so on.

So... initial costs for say .org.au are $15,000
which comes to $1.91 for each domain and will then be (based on now
figures) $7,841 per year

.asn.au will be initially $5.92 per domain and $2,532 per year at
current figures.

.id.au us just insignificant in the costs.

My proposal would be along the lines on what concert promoters like
Dainty CE, Frontier Touring do when rock starts are coming to Australia.

When someone big wants to tour, a bunch of tour promoters bid for the
tour - but there are conditions... normally to get the tour for say
Michael Jackson/U2/other big name, which they would make a lot of money
on, the would agree to take 2-3 smaller bands (not a the same time
though) with not many seats being sold, often at a loss.

I think those that are bidding for .com.au, who are paying a bucket of
money, should be asked to take on one of the very low usage domains like
.org.au/.asn.au which they may lose a small amount on.

If a registry has the infrastructure to run a .com.au/.net.au registry
then surely they can help out and run one of these other ones as part of
the deal.  There is almost no comparison in the amount of turnover and
the impact on their business models would be almost insignificant.

org.au count for only 3.41% of .com.au
asn.au count for only 1.1% of .com.au

It's a sound suggestion that I think auDA should consider... any
comments?

...Skeeve