Re: [DNS] RE: [Oz-ISP] A call on auDA

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:45:25 +0800
On Sun, Oct 28, 2001, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

[snip]

> So... initial costs for say .org.au are $15,000
> which comes to $1.91 for each domain and will then be (based on now
> figures) $7,841 per year
>
> .asn.au will be initially $5.92 per domain and $2,532 per year at
> current figures.
>
> .id.au us just insignificant in the costs.
>

> My proposal would be along the lines on what concert promoters like
> Dainty CE, Frontier Touring do when rock starts are coming to Australia.

[snip]

> If a registry has the infrastructure to run a .com.au/.net.au registry
> then surely they can help out and run one of these other ones as part of
> the deal.  There is almost no comparison in the amount of turnover and
> the impact on their business models would be almost insignificant.
>
> org.au count for only 3.41% of .com.au
> asn.au count for only 1.1% of .com.au
>
> It's a sound suggestion that I think auDA should consider... any
> comments?

I'd rather seperate org/id/asn from the corporate registries -
after the whole NetRegistry/AUNIC thing I'm not entirely sure that
a for-profit registrar would act in the best interests of the
non-profit domains. Especially when they're only <4% of the total
AU namespace.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Taking the dog."