Re: [DNS] Information Economics - Logical Misconceptions

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:45:10 +0800
On Sun, Oct 28, 2001, David G Thompson wrote:

> Interestingly IMHO this is the greatest challenge
> that those who propose to offer Free of Charge
> (FOC) services around .id .org (for example) in
> the .au space face.
>
> It is not that a non profit entity couldn't
> operate these 2LDs effectively at this point in
> time however it is hard to see where they would
> derive funds to market these spaces to grow
> market share effectively in the future.

You're assuming for a second that this non-profit entity is
interested in trying to "push" any form of market share.

If you're referring to the overheads of running and maintaining
a free org/id/asn.au space then I assure you, there will be enough
interest from the general internet community to provide any
services (hosting, bandwidth, etc) that volunteers can't provide
for free.

Thats been demonstrated time and time again in non-internet
related volunteer-run areas, so why is it any different here?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Taking the dog."