Re: [DNS] Information Economics - Logical Misconceptions

From: David G Thompson <davidgthompson§yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:31:51 -0800 (PST)
Adrian Chadd wrote:

>You're assuming for a second that this
non-profit >entity is interested in trying to
"push" any >form of market share.

Adrian, your hypothetical non-profit entity may
or may not be interested in .org/.asn/.id
marketshare, however in the context of open
competition you can bet your bottom dollar that
the leading players, for example MIT will be.

So what you articulating and visioning is a
marketplace not too dissimilar to the softdrink
market in Melbourne on a hot March day. ie

Coca Cola is available in every store,
supermarket and bar, so is; Pepsi all for a price
around $ 1.50 (say).

But I'm told if you head up Sydney Rd, Brunswick
go past Moreland Road, go two streets down to
your left, the third house on the right, a
delightful woman called Nancy does a mean home
made Lemonade for free if you knock twice and ask
nicely.

Market outcome:

Coke 				65.0000%
Others  			34.9999%
Nancies Homemade FOC Lemonade 	 0.0001%

I am not denying for one moment that your
marketshare disinterested non-profit cannot
exist, to the contrary I argued that that it can,
merely that without significant marketing budget
it is doomed to market irrelevancy.

<snip>

>If you're referring to the overheads of running
>and maintaining a free org/id/asn.au space.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here.

Cheers

DGT

http://personals.yahoo.com