RE: [DNS] Code of Conduct

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:42:13 +1100
Don, thanks for that.  I've been holding off somewhat on this issue, because
there was too much noise for my voice to be heard.  However, now's Wake Up
Time, I guess.

I want to call a meeting (perhaps workshop is a better description) of auDA
members and recipients of this list to get the Code of Conduct issue moving.
Although Melbourne IT alluded to it in their correspondence to resellers, I
still don't think that there is sufficient awareness in the industry that in
a very short time, all resellers will be OBLIGED to comply with the Code of
Conduct, for better or worse.  I for one want better!

My call, then, is:

1	Can all recipients of this email please respond indicating their
interest to participate in such a meeting / workshop;
2	Would such participants be willing to contribute a small amount to
fund whatever venue we choose - better still, is there a kind soul out there
who can make a suitable venue available?  I don't think that it should be
under the auspices of auDA at this stage.  I'm trying to develop an industry
perspective - from the coal face, as it were - so that we can go to auDa
with one voice.

Remember the prime drivers for this call are:
-	We need to eliminate rogue operators, and an enforceable code of
conduct is our only mechanism for doing so
-	We're all (resellers, that is) going to be obliged to comply with
whatever Code of Conduct is in place, once the tenders are awarded. We owe
it to ourselves to have a say in its content and its obligations on us.
-	Our collective market - the consumer - needs the security and
comfort of a visible Code of Conduct.
-	We need to move NOW

There is going to be a flurry of publicity around the tender award,
following which auDA itself will undertake publicity and promotion on behalf
of our industry.  Our Code of Conduct is fundamental to that publicity, so
we caanot afford to be apathetic.

Vested Interest - we resell domains as an incidental service to other
products; I have nominated for the Board of auDA.

Ron Stark
Business Park Pty Ltd
mail: ronstark&#167;businesspark.com.au
tel: +61 (0)3 9592 6895   fax: +61 (0)3 9591 0729
mob: +61 (0)41 812 9922