RE: [DNS] Have IRA gone one lie too far?

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:46:48 +1100
Ron,

With respect, I have, on several occasions, through various fora including
this one, requested re-sellers and ISPs etc to email our Consumer Alerts to
their customers. I do not know how many have done this. I would have thought
that providing this information to them would be valuable for the customer
and good business/marketing for the re-seller/ISP.

auDA does not, at present, have the funds to instigate a public awareness
campaign which by necessity would be scatter-gun in its approach (newspaper
ads etc). The re-sellers have the ability to deliver targeted bullets by
making their customers aware of the problems.

Of course, our aim is to ensure that marketing such as that used by IRA
ceases as soon as possible. Once we have introduced the new regime then I
believe we will succeed. However, it is important to note that in the new
model our jurisdiction is only by way of our Agreement with a Registrar and
vicariously, through the Registrar to the re-seller. We have no legal powers
that are equivalent to ACCC. All we can do is to terminate a Registrar or
re-seller from being 'auDA Accredited' and possibly sue them for damages for
breach of any Agreement.

It really is the role of ACCC to police business practices over and above a
particular industry's Code of Practice and that will remain the case for
this industry after the new model comes in.

I understand that many in the business find the current situation
frustrating. I find it extremely frustrating. As I recall I have, in the
past, on this list, expressed my surprise that ACCC is either unwilling or
unable to take any action. I still feel that way.

Let me once again clarify the position as we see it:-

1. We have no legal relationship with re-sellers and have no 'terms' to
which we can make them adhere.
2. Melbourne IT has a legal contract with all re-sellers and they can take
action under that if they wish. So, MIT could terminate IRA's licence as a
re-seller if they believe it has been breached. Whilst that might not stop
IRA from trading it would mean that they could no longer use references to
being 'authorised' etc.
3. There are only 3 things that IRA and others can breach at the moment
a) The TPA in which case, over to ACCC.
b) Their Licence Agreement with MIT in which case, over to MIT.
c) The interim Code of Practice which is voluntary and therefore cannot be
enforced.
4. In the future we will have a far greater degree of control because of the
Registrars Agreement and the published policies which will include the Code
of Practice.

Incidentally, FYI, the following organisations have so far notified us that
they will abide by the Code of Conduct:
* Bunyip IT Services
* Get Started Australia
* Highway 1