RE: [DNS] Retention of domain name

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:35:15 +1100
Hi Nick.  The point that needs to be borne in mind here is that it's not the
name per se.  A business invests huge amounts of time and money in
developing and increasing the value of a name.  Brand recognition and all
that.

That increase in value is, to all intents and purposes, capital gain for the
name's owner.  What I've described in my post is a fairly common and
legitimate business scenario, in which current (and new?) policy can have
the effect of arbitrarily confiscating that capital gain.

So in effect, we're going to the market place and telling customers that
they can have this wonderful asset called a domain name, but there are no
guarantees that they'll be able to keep it.  We're also telling our
customers that they should register a domain name to prevent others from
getting in first - but in the fine print, we're also telling them that if
they do so, we might just take it away if we change our mind on policy or if
their circumstances change.

I can see my clients feeling really secure on this one!

Ron Stark