RE: [DNS] thread.119

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:43:23 +1100
> Once you are told that a certain product is associated with a
> certain generic domain, you don't forget it in a hurry.
> If you see an ad to the effect that a travel business has a
> website at lets say harveytravel.com.au you may well not
> recall that next year when you want a holiday. You are much
> less likely to forget travel.com.au.

Could you produce some evidence (any evidence) to support your belief that
generic names are more memorable as brands than non generic names?  If
you're not sure what is meant by 'evidence' (usually refers to facts, etc) I
recommend you ask a lawyer.

Look, I'd be perfectly happy if generic names DID have some huge inherent
value, so that people paid a squillion bucks for them in the auction.  auDA
could use the extra money to help implement competition etc.

But this continual posting of opinons with no supporting evidence can't be
left unchallenged.

If generic names have some inherent advantage over non-generic names then
that should show up somewhere - they should be over-represented in any list
of successful sites.  They're not, in any list I've ever seen.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959