RE: [DNS] thread.119

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:54:05 +1100
> What if a person owns a boat shop. He wants to offer Information
> on his area and boating activates so he choses the name
> boating.com.au.

bestboats.com.au, or primeboats.com.au, or boatz.com.au or
boatingexperts.com.au or boatingcentre.com.au or boatsonthenet.com.au would
work just as well.

> As his business expands along he has the opportunity to grow his web
> presence along with his business. He can use sub domains like
> nsw.boating.com.au qld.boating.com.au sail.boating.com.au
> cruise.boating.com.au.

Er, having subdomains works just as well with non-generic names.

> Saving the registration off the extra domain names
> (qldboating.com.au ect.). If the generic name gives you the opportunity to
> save money down the track and offers the business owner a meaningful and
> easy to remember domain name it has to be off some value.
>
> This theory could work for a lot off generics, I think.

And for non-generics, too.

Evidence, folks, we need evidence - some evidence, any evidence - to support
this belief that generic names are somehow more memorable brands than
non-generic names.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959