RE: [DNS] thread.119

From: Cooke, Tony <tony.cooke§deacons.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:29:35 +1100
Richard

We haven't demonstrated that anything is irrelevant.  We have shown though
that keywords are certainly important for some search engines, but why is it
that the generic domain name beats other well constructed sites.

One factor used by search engines is the popularity of the site.  Thus if
people are just typing in the generic name and reaching the site, that will
increase its popularity.  That would probably give a hint as to why barnes
and noble don't have books in their keywords for the books.com site and why
it doesn't show up under the search "books".  Perhaps they aren't wanting it
to come up on search engines, because people will see that it is bn and have
a choice whether to go to it or not.

I think the gist of Phil Wright's e-mail on this topic is correct, although
I think branding is better done with non-generic names, but use of generic
domains is a relevant factor to attract traffic.