Re: [DNS] thread.119

From: Nick Andrew <lists-dns§nick-andrew.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:41:45 +1100
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:45:56AM +1100, Paul Foxworthy wrote:
> A moment ago, you were saying that generic names *were* valuable,

Not true. I'm not arguing whether generic names have value or not.
Of course if you have a quote from me which says otherwise, feel
free to repost it here.

> because
> you for one type names into your browser. Now you're saying you only do
> that for *non* generic names.

I think you'd better go back and read what I said. I said I will type
RANDOM domain names into a browser in the hope that I can guess the
correct domain name for a company. In the case of J.R.Turk, I tried
"turk.com.au", "turks.com.au" and "jrturk.com.au" (lucked out on
all threee unfortunately so I had to go to the White Pages after that).

> So, do you now agree generic names have little or no value?

It matters not whether I think generic names have value. Only the
opinion of somebody applying for the name matters. If they think
it's really valuable, then it's valuable to them.

Nick.