Re: [DNS] INTERNET.COM.AU

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:22:14 +1100 (EST)
Ron Stark wrote:
] ... Sell it to somebody else who is prepared to pay even more!!

One of the advantages of an auction (at least to my way of thinking),
is that this is fairly unlikely.  If there is someone else out there
who is prepared to pay even more (and that is qualified to license
the domain), then its likely that they would have bid at the auction.

If your main purpose is to transfer it (I won't say sell, because
its not property and you don't own it) and you win the bidding, then
you face a serious risk that no-one else who wants the domain is
prepared to pay as much for it as you did, when you bid for the
reservation certificate.

This is not a very good business proposition for the domain name
entrepreneur(*).  Hopefully most of them will realise this is not a
get-rick-quick scheme for them, before they make astronomical bids.
(Or on the other hand, maybe paying astronomical amounts for
something that no one else values as highly as they do, would be
a good/hard learning experience for them...)

(*) I thought of lots of other names for these people, but derogatory
    and defamatory remarks are not welcome on this list...

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management