Is auDA auctioning non-transferable or transferable domain name licences?

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:41:00 +1100

David Keegel wrote in [DNS] Friday, 25 January 2002 12:04 AM:

> On the question of trading, I don't think there is anything inherently
> anti-competitive about having a non-transferable license.  We are not
> talking about a piece of property that you can own.

David and other DNS subscribers

I have seen nothing in material published on the new auDA scheme that would
prohibit the transfer of .au domain name licences with one exception,
namely, licensing a domain name licence for the sole purpose of selling it.
Have I missed something?

The question of whether domain name licences are transferable or
non-transferable is an important one, particularly for those bidding at
auction.

Under the current scheme a licence to use a com.au domain name cannot be
transferred or sold to another party.   Licence terms and conditions state
that the domain name may not be sold, lent or used by any party other than
the licensee, and the domain name may not be transferred from the licensee
to another party.

If auDA is auctioning non-transferable licences, this is likely influence
the price a bidder would be prepared to pay for a licence.  Perhaps bidders
should be informed accordingly.  Again, have I missed something?

Is auDA auctioning non-transferable licences?   In what circumstances will
licence transfer be permitted or not permitted?

Can anyone point me to a published copy of a standard form domain name
licence under the new scheme, please?

Ian

--
Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre Limited (SETEL)

SETEL is a national small business consumer association
Advancing and representing the interest of Australian small business
as telecommunications and electronic commerce consumers